Strength training for LE



I'm a former law enforcement officer in one of Oregon's largest cities. I agree with almost everything you said in your article Return to Cop Land. Especially how the academy doesn't prepare us for the true fitness of the streets.

However, not every cop just wants to look good. After four years I have sought after a strength program that delivers strong and explosive speed and action. I train for only 2 miles runs to increase my time for foot pursuits, and so I don't sound like an out of shape idiot on the radio while doing it.

Studies show that every cop will get it that one 'fit for your life' fight during his career. I train for that. The winner is who can withstand the longest. My performance on the street increased dramatically after power lifting and strength training vs push ups and so much cardio.

My workout also consisted of 2 to 3 minute rounds of pad striking for grappling to ensure my lungs and stamina were prepared for the one true fight I would eventually encounter. However, not all cops just want to look good. I have concentrated on my arms, shoulders, and traps for one reason only: command presence.

I have to look the part. Not because it makes me feel good (although it sure does), but the dirt bags on the street live on the alpha male rules and that includes sizing you up. They also have an expectation of what police should look like. I try to match that also. That alone can keep me out of a fight, but functional fitness will save my life.

Thanks for listening,
DC
Eugene, Oregon


My Answer: Sounds like you've done a lot of what I recommend in the article. But I tell you, I've met a lot of cops where their main concerns are losing weight, looking good and/or looking tough. Of course cops want both looks and performance, but when I prioritize training goals to design a program, almost every cop I've consulted or trained with prioritized looks over performance. And when I mean looks, it also means looking tough as nails and strong as an ox on roids, not just looking sharp in a uniform.

Although I train off-duty cops, they don't have athletic or physique goals different from the general population. They usually ask for the same thing everybody else asks for: 

"I need to lose this gut."

"I want to be one big badass motherF*****."

"I want to be stronger."


Cops are human just like everyone else, so they have the same vanities. When it comes down to it, most would rather look good than perform athletically. And yes, depending on your assignment or whatever call you get, it is an athletic event.

For LE strength training (and we're talking solely strength, not cardio), I usually recommend the following exercises. Remember, this is not a complete program for LE strength and conditioning. This is just what I include in such programs:

  1. All variations of Pull-ups for upper body strength relevant to LE
  2. All variations of Deadlifts - You'd be surprised how often cops have to pick up a person laying on the ground. Usually it's some protester who wants to lay limp and do the "passive resister" strategy, but it could also be a drunk, an arrestee or a really heavy person that the EMT's need help putting on the gurney.
  3. Thick bar training (dumbbells, barbells or kettlebells) for grip strength, which is important when subduing resistive suspects
  4. Just plain old heavy free weights on most exercises and multiple sets of it

There's more to it than that, but those are the things I include to improve an officer's strength applicable to the job.

Anyway, train smart and stay safe.

Comments

SpDL said…
Hey James, what exactly is LE?
J said…
L.E. stands for law enforcement.

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5