Shotgun Meets EDT

Q: Hello Coach, bought your book last week on Amazon. Can't wait to get it. In the meantime I have a question about the Shotgun Method. I would like to know your opinion on this setup:

- 3 exercises as you recommended, A-B & C.
- A 20 minute window for each and performed as many sets as possible in the time allowed.
- Example: Deadlifts (20 min.)
Week 1: 8 sets of 5 with 80% of one rep max
Week 2: try to beat the number of sets in 20 min.

I'm sure you understand what kind of progression I mean. So for 3 exercises, my workout is about one hour. That sounded good to me. Would you still call it Shotgun Method?"

2nd question: If my lagging part is the quadriceps, do you recommend I train them in each troubleshooting session? Leg press, leg extension? What's your favorite? I saw there was a chapter in your book on quad blasting... can't wait!

Thanks in the meantime!
Danny


My Answer: Thanks for purchasing my book, Danny! I know you'll enjoy it. Yeah, to answer your question, doing the Shotgun Method EDT style is perfectly fine. If you make this modification, however, I suggest 2 things:

1) For your deadlifts, don't go past 3 reps. It will be less traumatic on your lower back, and you're making up the volume by doing it EDT style anyway.

2) Do the EDT with shotgun moves for 2 weeks. Then the 2 weeks after that, just do shotgun moves with regular rest periods. That way, you decompress and your body overcompensates in size.

To answer your other question: if your quads are the weak point in your physique, then yes, train them at each troubleshooting session. I outline the best quad exercises in the book, so you'll have to wait until then.





Q: Yeah sir, how are you doing? I've just finished my first year of lifting weights. I managed to put on 30 pounds in this time. I'm currently 6'1 172lbs (still skinny for my height). 

I've just started your Shotgun Program (2 days in, and it's great). However I'm not to sure how to go about the trouble shooting days for my lagging body parts: calves, traps and upper chest (I can see my collar bone, lol).

If you could help me modify the program a bit to work on these few things, that would be great. However, I'm responding great to your original design."

Thanks in advance,
Kayaboy


My Answer: Well in Strength and Physique: The Articles I have a chapter devoted to calf training and a chapter devoted to the most effective chest exercises. These chapters will definitely help you fill out your calves and your upper pecs.

With regards to the trapezius, however, I don't normally recommend direct trap work. I come from old school bodybuilding (think Vince Gironda), so I don't do direct trap work for myself or for my clients.

Your traps should grow on deadlifts and heavy dumbbell exercises for other body parts. So when you can, do heavy dumbbell presses for the chest or shoulders, heavy dumbbell curls in a standing position and dumbbell leg work like dumbbell lunges and deadlifts. Simply holding heavy dumbbells in a standing position should thicken your traps.

Now for people who really desire maximum thickness in the traps, I usually recommend rack pulls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5