Your Time in Hell is Just Beginning

Q: "Hi James, love the blog. I've been following your 10-8-6-15 routine for a couple of weeks. Yesterday, I felt some forearm pain while doing bicep curls. I had forearm splints last summer that took a couple of months to recover from. How can I minimize the risk of developing forearm splints while continuing the routine and increasing the weight? Should I just drop the weight that I'm lifting or are there exercises, stretches or equipment that can prevent them from developing?"

Thanks and all the best.
-Alex H.


My Answer- I'm curious as to how you're performing biceps curls. If your starting position in the dumbbell curl is to have the palms forward (supinated), then that will aggravate any sort of dysfunction in your arms, resulting in pain. Instead of dumbbell or barbell curls, try hammer curls instead. If it still hurts, then lay off the biceps for a few weeks. Whether or not you take a break from biceps training, take some fish oil to control the inflammation.


Q: "Hi I'm a 25 year old male from Ohio who just graduated the police academy. I'm looking for a new routine that incorporates all the elements necessary to be a productive cop. I'm strong but not very big. I'm 5'9" 180 pounds with a 32 inch waist and 44 inch chest, but only 13 1/2 to 14 inch arms. Any help in adding arm size would be appreciated. Thanks for your time."

-Heath B.

My Answer- Congratulations on making it through the academy, Heath. Your time in hell is just beginning. If you haven't read them already, then check out two of my articles: Return to Copland and Arm Training Assault, which is an excerpt from my first book Strength and Physique: The Articles.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Simple Exercises to Emulate the Gymnast

Increasing Your Dead Hang Time

Straight Sets vs Pyramid Sets