Squat Alternatives

I'm already a big fan of your training methods, and now I'm trying to build my own training program.

After testing some of your training methods I've discovered that the 10-8-6-15 works the best for me to build muscle mass. I'm an ecto, even now I'm not too skinny anymore.

I've achieved a good physique, and now I'm trying just to "finish" the quest. What I mean is to keep up with the muscle building but burning some fat.

I'm already at 8-10% body fat, so its just a matter of training to keep the results and keep going until I get to my goal.

So with my experience and your books, I've planned 3 routines, and I want your opinion which you think will work best, and of course some tips if ts possible.

Here we go:

The 1st Option

8x8 method, but with a compound/super set system and aerobics (HIIT) for legs 3 times a week

/ Bench press
\ Lat pulldown

/ Dumbbell shoulder press
\ Upright row

/ Biceps EZ bar
\ Lying triceps EZ bar

15 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)



The 2 Option

10-8-6-15 program exactly the same in your book, but without squats. I'd replace the leg workout with 15 minutes of HIIT.



The 3 Option

The same as the first option, but with the squat in the place of the aerobics.



The reason I'm using the HIIT is because I've got big legs, and I dont want to get more size on it. I just want to keep what I already have, and build the upper body to get a more pronounced V shape.

Thanks again for information and inspiration man.

The best for you,
Alexis



My Answer: I'd choose option 1. You've been doing the 10-8-6-15 program for some time now, so you should switch things up. You've built some massive legs, so it would be good idea to back off from the squats. You can replace it with HIIT, deadlift or barbell Hack squat.

The deadlift builds a lot of muscle overall, but it does not build as much thigh size as squats, which is more of a lower body mass builder. You can change the deadlift grip to emphasize more upper body development and not as much lower body development. The snatch grip deadlift will work the lats and add to your V-taper:



The Hack squat will not build as much thigh size as the back squat. It will, however, build up the vastus medialis, the teardrop quad muscle above your knee. The Hack squat will give your thighs a more refined and toned look:


Check out the Strength and Physique E-books



“This book is terrific. It distills years of experience and research into short sections laying out specific, creative programs for the major body parts, using the best science and advanced training techniques. Some of them created by the great 'masters' of bodybuilding like Larry Scott. Almost every section has a 'eureka' idea that I'm craving to try, like the back trifecta! The book is much more useful than subscriptions to all the muscle mags. I only wish I had it when I was a kid."

- Bob Vastine, world record holder in powerlifting



"Your arm blast routine from Volume One that you pointed me to is phenomenal. Maybe it's just the pump, but I'm measuring 16 inches compared to 15 inches before - after just 2 trainings!"

- Steve Murphy, Australia



"Sticking to your principles to the letter has helped me improve immensely. When I started lifting over two years ago I was 125 pounds and now I'm over 170.

"What I'm trying to say is that reading your books helped me understand what I needed to do to gain [muscle]. My dedication plus your expertise really worked out well for me."


- Mike Crothers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5