Question: 5 Battle-Tested Strategies for Size and Strength

Q: "I know this article was posted a few months ago, but I have a question regarding the 'Controlled Overtraining' strategy you presented in the 5 battle-tested strategies article. I was wondering what type of split I should use during the decompression phase (5X5, 5 body parts)? Upper/lower body split (2 times a week each) or full body (3 times a week)? And should I use only compound movements or also some isolation work?

"Sorry to bother you with those questions, especially 6 months after the article was written, but I'd really like to give this approach a shot. Thanks for your help! And your blog is really great!"

- Mathieu, a trainee from France 


My Answer: Good to hear from you, Mathieu. To answer your question, go with the upper/lower body split (2 times a week). Just compound movements. No isolation movements. The whole point of decompression is to pull back from your training, so adding extra isolation movements would defeat the purpose. 



Q: "My name is Cody, and I will be turning 16 in a few weeks. But I was wondering how I can build greater muscular size? I'm currently 170 and about 5'11''. I've been on and off working out since about 8th grade, where I used to weigh in at about 150-155. So I've gained weight since. 

"But the question is for about 2 months or so I've gotten back into working out, and currently I'm stronger than I've ever been. But for about the last week to week and a half, I've stopped increasing in weight and have somewhat been decreasing in the reps that I'm a able to do. The only supplements I've been taking is whey protein in mornings and after my workouts. 

"But the questions I had were what can I do to start increasing more, and how can I also increase my muscular size? Because I've been noticing that even though I'm as strong or stronger than the people I work out with, my size is incredibly smaller. Any help is really appreciated." 

Thanks, 
Cody 


My Answer: Well first thing Cody, you have too many "buts" in your question. Why does this matter? "Buts" represent psychological barriers, so do get rid of that word from your speech and thoughts. You'll be a lot happier in life. Oh, that wasn't the advice you were looking for, huh, Cody?

Anyway, it's hard for me to tell you what to do next, because you haven't told me what you've been doing. My first instinct is to tell you to back off from the training, but who knows what you're backing from. If you haven't done so, then read the excerpt from The Articles and go over the concept of "backcycling." This will jump start your gains. 

You're still young, so you have plenty of growth ahead. You just got do your homework with regards to training and intelligently plan your workouts. I've mentioned this before in a previous post, but I've written an article on beginner/ectomorph training. I'm not sure at this point if the article will be published on the web or in an upcoming book. I'll keep you guys posted. 



Q: "I should just say thanks. You put out good work that's easy to understand and follow. But I do have a dilemma: I've always wanted to join MMA at this local place, and I was planning on doing it this summer. But I'm gonna end up saving to study abroad in Australia in the spring 2009 semester. Other than the hand-to-hand combat, I know the physical benefits of the training are second to none. 

"So do you have any suggestions for MMA style workouts that I can supplement my current workouts with. I'm still interested in the bodybuilding techniques outlined in your book, but I'd also like to be just one hella fit guy. I kind of came to you first so if there's any resources I should look up I'd be more than happy to. Also, can I pre-order your next book? I'm definitely interested."

Thanks a million!
- M.C., Chicago


My Answer: Thanks for the praise. When it comes down to MMA training, you can't substitute actually going to class, learning the techniques and training with a partner.

What I suggest you do is take some classes just to learn some basic techniques and then practice on your own and with a partner here at home and when you're in Australia. That way, you can invest a little money on the skills, but still strength train and go on your study abroad.

In other words, sign up for a short contract just to test the waters. Let me know how it works dude.

P.S. I'll definitely give you a heads up when Neo-Classical Bodybuilding hits the market. 






Q: "Right now I'm trying to gain as much size on my arms and shoulders as I can. I already have a big chest, and my back is where i want it to be. And at the same time I like to stay lean as possible.

"So what can I do to fix my problem? I've been doing a lot of research, and I'm coming up with a lot of things that seem good, but really don't know where to start. I really don't know what type of diet I would need to reach these goals. And to top it off I have an ectomorph body type. I've been debating if I should go on a mass diet or what.

"Another thing I would like to ask is, what type of workout should I do? I'm trying to tone up my abdominal section, but have my arms and shoulders gain size. Or is this to much work to do at once? Do I need to gain size first, then cut up?"

-Kyle V.


My Answer: Hmm... so many questions. Where to start? Oh, I know: BUY MY BOOK. Seriously though, buy my book and that will answer a lot of your questions. And if you still have questions, then I'll be happy to answer them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5