Training 3 Days A Week

Q: I have one short question: I work out 3 times a week in a gym. 3 times, because I just don't have more time. My days are full, so I would like to ask you for advice on how to plan workouts and workout cycles to get the most out of it? 

I have been working out for 2 years now, but I just can't find a good system for a 3 day workout. My goal is to get as much muscle as possible but not big mass. So I always follow my diet, and I am careful not to get too much fat. But finding a good 3 day system is always hard for me, so please if you have any advice for me, help me!

-RoLe


My Answer: Jeez, don't be so needy Ro. Anyway, if you only have 3 days a week, then do full body workouts 3 days a week. Each has to be a different workout, however, with different exercises and different rep schemes. Here, give this a shot. Cycle through these rep ranges throughout the week:

Workout #1: 8-10 reps
Workout #2: 6-8 reps
Workout #3: 4-6 reps

For each workout, just do one exercise per body part. Rotate your exercises from workout to workout. You newbies want to do everything in one workout, when you should spread everything out over the course of a week. If you're really interested in program design, then buy my book. It has a couple chapters on program design, split routines and exercise selection.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes it looks worth trying but how many sets per exercise should I perform? Will this training system hit and tire my muscles enough to enable growth?
J said…
Wow, Role, you want everything spelled out for you in black and white. I point you in the right direction, and you want me to walk you over there. Check my book out. There's plenty of stuff in there to tire your muscles out and force some growth.
Anonymous said…
Hi.

stronglifts.com has a very good full body program.

It's a 5x5 program that follows the principles of mark rippetoe, and you WILL get fatigued, on every workout. Just don't start to heavy, you will move plenty of weight sooner than later. :-)

Odd Christer.
(disclaimer: I'm not associated with stronglifts.com in any other way than that I read it and sometimes post to the forums there.)

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5