The Value of a Flushing Set





Q: I've enjoyed your Pyramid Program for Ectomorphs, and thank you for answering all the questions regarding it from many people on your blog. May I ask: what is the purpose of the final set of 15? Why not just do 10-8-6 and stop there?

Cheers,
Steve M.


My Answer: The last set where you perform a high number of reps is good for growth. In my upcoming book Neo-Classical Bodybuilding, I go into greater detail about why flushing sets or feeder sets are an important component of hypertrophy training. But for now, just understand that flushing sets of 15 reps will increase blood flow to the muscle, which transports nutrients into the muscle being worked. This aids in recovery and growth through increased amino acid and glycogen uptake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5