Leg Presses and 5x5

Q: What's your opinion on the 5x5 training programs? They are very well liked by many. 

Also, because of tight hamstrings, I like leg presses better than squats. Are leg presses effective? Squats are very useful and build overall strength. Can the same be said about leg presses?

-CS


My Answer: The 5x5 is a solid program and has been around for a long, long time. Of all the programs floating around in the gym, it is second to the 10-8-6-15 program as far as popularity. But while the 5x5 is a solid program by itself, it works even better as a decompression program, which I go over in Strength and Physique: The Articles.

As far as leg presses, it really depends on what your goal is. If you're an athlete looking to gain real world strength and size, then the leg press won't do anything for you unless you're a speed skater. If you're just concerned about size and nothing else, then the leg press is good choice, even better than the squat.





Q: Early July I wrote for advice on your Shotgun Method. Now three months later, I must say that I am really amazed with what I achieved thanks to it. I gained about an average of 1.8 kilograms a month since then, and in August and September also lost some body fat while gaining muscle (woot!). I transitioned from basic lifts to Olympic ones. Overall it was a really great experience not only seeing the results but also the fun I had.

Now, I was wondering if you had any advice on how push it to the next stage or any other programs you can suggest (although I could still pursue this one as I am still getting results). Don't worry if you have no time to answer. Thanks anyway for the program ;-).

A bientôt, Alex~


My Answer: Well Alex, if you're still getting good results from the Shotgun Method, then by all means stick with it until the gains stop. Afterwards, switch to the 3-5 Method as a decompression phase: 3-5 sets, 3-5 reps, 3-5 minutes rest, 3-5 exercises for the whole body, 3-5 days a week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups