Life After the Hardgainer Phase



Q: "I read your article on Training for the Ectomorph and decided to try it out as a new program, being an ectomorph and a hard gainer. I am about 185 cm tall weighing 68 kg, my body fat is about 9.8%. I am trying to put on a more size. Ideally I would like to be 72-75 kg and drop a percent or two on the body fat.

"I am not a beginner bodybuilder. I have been training for 4 years, but I have been battling to increase in size after having ripped down from about 14% body fat. I have been following the program for 6 weeks and have gained almost 2 kg which is great. I also incorporated 20 mins of HIIT and a combination of pikes, bridges and one other ab exercise on the off days.

"I have a question. I am worried, being a more intermediate than a beginner, that I am neglecting or should be paying more attention to other exercises, aside from the core 6 exercises. I previously did do most of the exercises listed but also added more isolation exercises.

"I like the idea of full body workout 3 times a week, but I am not sure if that's right for someone like myself who has a decent build and needs more size. I also would like to know what I should be doing after 6 weeks. I don't seem to be progressing much further with this routine and am tempted to go back to my old routine which was:

Monday (chest and biceps)
2 chest exercises using 10-8-6-15 (barbell/dumbbell flat/incline press and flyes)
2 bicep exercises using 10-8-6-15 (standing or seated dumbbell/barbell curls)
Abs for 15-20 mins

Tuesday (back, triceps and calves)
2 Back exercises using 10-8-6-15 (lat, wide or close grip, pulldowns/seated row)
2 Triceps exercises using 10-8-6-15 (skull crushers/close grip barbell press/triceps pushdown)
2 Calf exercises using 10-8-6-15 (seated/standing calf raises)
15 mins HIIT

Wednesday (shoulders and legs)
2 Shoulder exercises using 10-8-6-15 (shoulder press/upright rows/lateral raises)
Squats 10-8-6-15
Leg presses 10-8-6-15
Lying/standing Hamstring 10-8-6-15
Abs for 15-20 mins

Thursday
(chest and biceps)
15 mins HIIT

Friday
(back, triceps and calves)
Abs for 15-20 mins

"The following Monday I start with shoulders and legs, then chest and biceps etc. Can you offer any tips or advice if this is OK or an alternative. I train in the mornings and a long workout tends to really punish me. The ectomorph type workout, with a break in between I find better, but I need to find a balance.

"Thanks again for your great articles and taking the time to read this (if you get a chance)."

-Michael
from sunny Cape Town, South Africa


My Answer: It's great that you made progress on the 10-8-6-15 program, but as you've realized: all good things must come to an end. Your new program looks fine, but I would suggest 2 things:

1) Forget about the 10-8-6-15 rep scheme for now. Your body is tired of it. Try 5x5 instead, and you will jump start some new gains.

2) 15-20 minutes of ab work is way too much. There is a huge net of nerves over your abs, so excessive ab work will put you in the overtraining zone very quickly. If you over train longer than 3 weeks, then your gains will come to a screeching halt and you will even lose muscle. So cut the ab work in half.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5