Follow-up to 5x5



Q: Last time I wrote you recommended that I use a 5x5 program to increase my results. With this program I have seen great results, but again I think it is time for a new routine. So I have two questions for you:

1) If I wanted to keep gaining size what would be the best follow up program?

2) If I was satisfied with the results, how would I go about 'toning' my body or 'cutting' up? I'm not sure of the proper word, but what would be the ideal program for that approach? 

 Thanks again as always James.

-Jay


My Answer: You're going to have a hard time training for 2 separate goals at the same time. A servant cannot serve 2 masters. You either focus on size or you focus on tone or you focus on cutting up.

For those of you who don't know, muscle tone means your muscles are thick and dense, so much so that your muscles visually appear thick and dense.

Cutting up is different. Getting cut means that your body fat is so low that you can see muscle definition.

Muscle tone comes from high muscular tension. High tension comes from heavy weights. Tone does not come from high reps, as most people believe.

Thus, 5x5 is a program that increases muscle tone as well as size. Since you've been doing 5x5, my suggestion is to switch it up and follow a cutting phase. 8x8 should do the trick.

Comments

ozzy said…
Hi James! I have tried your 10 8 6 15 method and it really worked so thx alot! My question is can ectomorphs use shotgun method (and eventually) post exhaust routines to gain more mass?
J said…
yes, both are excellent programs for gaining more muscle mass
619 said…
Question about the 8x8 and the weight loss: I just currently started what I plan on being a 5 week cycle of 8x8. I have asked a similar question on here before, but if this a fat loss program should there be a caloric deficiency or excess?

If it is a deficiency, with the such high training, is there any problem with potential over training?

And also, if the training is for fat loss does it result in muscle gain?

Lastly, you seem to have a two day split for the 8x8, what do you think of a three day split of back/bis, chest/tris/shoulders, legs/abs?
J said…
619,

If you're looking to optimize fat loss, then a calorie deficit is in order. To avoid overtraining, do not go beyond 3 weeks. The 8x8 program is not really a muscle gainer program, but it will help preserve muscle while you're stripping the fat off.

As far as a 3 day split, I don't see a problem with it.
619 said…
So in response to that, do you think it would be inappropriate to couple it with a CKD, do the previously listed split on MTW and then full body Saturday? Thanks for your quick responses.
J said…
yep, a CKD would be ideal for fat loss and extreme definition. a MTW split with a Saturday full body would be fine.
ozzy said…
Hi James I have some questions regarding my training program.
It looks like this:

Day 1
5 minutes skip rope,
Incline/flat bench (5 sets, 3minutes rest),
Flyes (5 sets, 2 mins rest),
Rows (5,2 mins),
Shrugs & sit ups

Day 2
3 sets of pull ups,
zottmann curl (5,2),
lying dumbell raise (5,2),
squats (10,8,6,15 & 3 mins rest),
sit ups

My question is should I take one or two days rest after? Also, does this sequence mean I am over training? I am a hardgainer by the way.
J said…
hey Ozzy, it looks fine. Just follow 2 day on/1 day off, 2 day on/2 day off.
O.D. said…
Hi James
I have a question regarding ab workouts. Which one do you think gets better results: front and side planks or hanging leg raises?
Keep up the good work!
J said…
hanging leg raises (HLR) are definitely better than planks. but that's if you can do HLR and do them in good form. If you can do at least 3 good reps, then stick with HLR. If you can't, then do a plank version that is somewhat difficult for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5