Working the TVA

"Congrats on the reviews of your latest book. Great reviews on Amazon. Question twofold about core strength: My entire L-1 to L-5 is a mess once I have the fusion my lower back range of motion will be terrible. Do you know any good core exercises without much motion in that region of my back?

"Also I am starting physical therapy the 20th. What should I quiz them on (for my back situation) before I have the surgery (time undetermined) that you would ask in my situation?"

Thanks,
Ryan


My Answer: Ab exercises that don't stress the back tend to be isometric exercises, such as the plank:



And the stomach vacuum:



With regards to quizzing your PT, s/he should teach you how to facilitate your recovery after surgery. That's your primary focus, and you should be seeing him or her after surgery anyway.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Increasing Your Dead Hang Time

8 Simple Exercises to Emulate the Gymnast

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps