Quote of the Day




“I have never met a truly strong person who didn’t have self-respect. When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character.

"Muscle mass does not always equal strength. Strength is kindness and sensitivity. Strength is understanding that your power is both physical and emotional. That it comes from the body and the mind. And the heart.

"The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black.

"I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.”

- Henry Rollins

Comments

Unknown said…
Mr. Rollins appears to be a wise man. Good quote.

Funny coincidence, I echoed the sentiment that "200 pounds is 200 pounds"; as I wrote in my blog recently that "a pound is a pound". It's a consistent, "perfect" measure by which to test oneself.
J said…
Yep this quote pretty much summarizes why we're in the Iron Game.
MojoRider said…
Ahhh, ol' Henry. He grew up in my neck of the woods before moving out to L.A. with his band.

He can be a nauseating name dropper and a bit of a psycho sometimes, but I do respect this about the guy:

1. His discipline. Guy's worked hard for everything he has received. I envy his sense of motivation (it also might help that the guy is a bit hyperactive anyway).

2. He is someone that seeks out a wide variety of life experiences

3. He has a writing ability that is capable of distilling things to its essential truth. Such as the excerpt you posted.

Good stuff!

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5