Barbell Only Workout

Just a heads up: head out to your Barnes and Noble bookstore and pick up the latest issue of Planet Muscle. In it I have an article called "Heavy-Light Training."



"Hello, can you give me a routine for the 10-8-6-15 program using just a barbell? All I have is a cage, a bench, an Olympic barbell and 300 lbs, no dumbbells. I can no longer go to a gym."

Thanks for your time and help.

- W.L.


My Answer- You can still build a very impressive physique based solely on barbells and body weight exercises. Here's what I suggest:

A) Squats- 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 15 reps; 2 minutes rest.
B) Bench press- 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 15 reps; 90 seconds rest.
C) Pull-ups or Barbell rows- 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 15 reps; 90 seconds rest.

D) Wide grip barbell upright rows- 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 15 reps; 1 minute rest.

E) Barbell curls- 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 15 reps; 90 seconds rest.
F) Close grip bench press- 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 15 reps; 90 seconds rest.



Q: I have just bought your book, read it, and I'm very eager to start my first cycle. I have been working in the gym this past six years growing only a little bit better than the average "block head" :-)

However it is important for me to be in shape and to be able to run 10 kilometers and to have stamina. I have read page 90, and I understand what you have written, but yet I would like to know how can I retain my stamina while going into this new working out style?

best regards,
Joseph K.



My Answer: Well it depends on which program you decide to go with. If you're going with the Strength and Physique System program, then I would advise you not to do cardio unless you're overweight. The Strength and Physique System is very intense and designed for maximal hypertrophy. It will stress both your strength and endurance, so extra cardio would be redundant and would undermine your efforts on this program.

If you're looking to develop strength, muscularity and conditioning, then the Strength Training for Fat Loss chapter will work as well. But again, if you want to retain muscle, then you would have to refrain from cardio.

If you have to run 10K, however, then you may very well need to rely on block training. By doing block training and cardio separately, you can avoid training redundancy and hence avoid overtraining. So doing the 5x5 program with cardio separate would work just fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5