Recovery from Ruptured Achilles Tendon


"I'm a traditional reservist in the US Air Force. I'm a police officer in the Air Force as well as on the outside here in Fayetteville, NC. The issue I have is roughly 6 months ago I ruptured my left Achilles tendon. I'm making progress with physical therapy, but it's going slow. My question sir is after all is said and done with my rehab, is it likely that I'll be 100%? Really any advice you might have for me would be much appreciated. Sorry I’m being so vague. Just really needing some reassurance or words of wisdom. Thank you so much."

–SSGT Michael Murdock


My Answer: It depends if you've had surgery or not to repair the ruptured tendon. More likely than not, your doctor would have recommended surgery unless there was a pre-existing condition which would cause complications. If you didn't have the surgery, then obviously you will not be at 100%. Question is will you be at 100% after surgery and physical therapy?

Injuries of any sort are like car antennas: if it's bent, then you can always bend it back into alignment. Although the antenna is straight again and functions perfectly fine, that weak spot in the antenna is still there.

Don't worry: you will bounce back, but it is a slow, SLOW process. Just stick with the physical therapy, and you will eventually be back to normal. If you haven't done so already, then check out the Achilles Tendon Rupture blog and talk with people who are actually going through the recovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5