How Long on The Shotgun Method?

Q: My girlfriend’s son is a federal inmate in Kentucky. For months his conversation included comments about you and how he’d love to receive some of your strength building material. Corey instructs a strength building class in prison. 

Recently I’d sent Corey several of your books, which has helped him immensely. Here’s a question Corey wanted answered: Shotgun Method: How long do you do that routine before you incorporate a decompression phase? 

Thanks, 
D.P. 


My Answer: Wow, I never thought my books would end up in a federal prison. Anyway to answer your question, the Shotgun Method typically lasts anywhere from 2-4 weeks. The Shotgun workouts are very taxing and can take a lot of you. So how long you stay on the program depends on when you start to feel overtrained. 

When you first do the Shotgun workout, you will feel somewhat energized, because the multiple sets of low reps is waking up your nervous system. Once you start dreading the workouts or you find your energy levels diminished, then that's when you switch to a decompression program for a few weeks. People will typically hit this wall anywhere from 2-4 weeks.



Q: I don’t know how I came across your name, but somehow I did. I am going to be 40 and have trained all my life in between injuries and family. I am getting back into training after having broken my neck five years ago.

Now, I am about 4 months into it and I find myself wondering what is the best way to train to maximize my physique while running my business and being a father and husband. 


I have time to train 7 days a week. And I have a quite a personal gym at home to help me get the most family time and when they go to bed I train. 

Can you advise me as to what books of yours would be best for me, and do you have any tips? I will say eating has always been a struggle to understand: what amount of protein and carb, etc. to eat a day to assist me getting back into great shape and low body fat.

Thank You,
Derek T.S.


My Answer: Well if you're able to train 7 days a week, then that's good. Not that you should train 7 days a week, but it's good that you have the option to train however many days you want.

As far as my books, a good place to start is the beginning: The Articles. It goes over the basics on program design, such as efficient training splits and effective exercise selection to develop the ideal physique. It also reviews diet and has a chapter on 7 strength training strategies for fat loss.

At 40, low to moderate volume done frequently throughout the week is best. The Articles reveals that ideal frequency. If you have issues with diet, then the diet chapter will make your food choices much simpler and clearer for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5