Mr. Dips



Q: Silly question, I know: Are you the guy we used to (flatteringly) call "Mr. Dips?"
If so, you look very different now.  Please describe your training methodology!


What kind of lifts do your workouts consist of?


-Robert


My Answer: I don't recall anybody calling me "Mr. Dips" to my face, but I did do a lot of dips when I used to workout at the gym in my early years.  And I have lost a lot of muscle mass since I've stopped eating like a bodybuilder, because I just don't have the appetite anymore.  I prefer to maintain a trim and tone physique built on wiry strength.  What gym did you train with this "Mr. Dips" anyway?

I was always a skinny dude, so I started weight training to get some size.  I ended up getting a thick chest, back, thighs and shoulders, but my arms were lagging behind.  So I added dips to gain some triceps size.  I worked on dips at least once a week.

Eventually I got to a point where I could strap a 100 dumbbell to my waist and do 5-7 reps, full range.  I don't train with the added weight anymore.  With just my bodyweight, I can rep out 35 full range dips fairly easily.

As far as my training methodology, it's all in my books.  I much more busy now with a 10 month old daughter, so I follow the training principles in Volume 4: Training for the Busy Bodybuilder.

The lifts that I practice are an eclectic mix of conventional and esoteric bodybuilding and strength exercises.  The videos that I have on my YouTube channel show a tiny cross section of these esoteric moves. 

I was planning on shooting an exercise DVD showcasing all of these lesser known but highly effective bodybuilding exercises.  But like I said, I'm quite busy with family.  Perhaps in the future when I have more time and resources.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5