High Tension Exercises for Muscular Growth


Q: I have been following your ectomorph program for about three weeks. I'm not getting much size. It seems my strength has made some gains with some definition. 

I have been doing the three minute rest periods and even sometimes five minute. I do the program on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Bradley S.



My Answer: If you're having problems gaining muscle on the program, then you will need to take a look at your diet and see if you're eating enough. 

More protein and more calories.  If you have problems getting in the extra protein, then supplement with a protein drink every day.

Since you've been on the ectomorph program for a few weeks, you should also switch to the 5x5 program.  Plug in completely different exercises.  Shorten the rest periods to 60-90 seconds.  Use a rep tempo of slow negatives with explosive lifting.







Q: First off, let me thank you for all of the stellar training advice that you offer all physique trainers. I've got all your books, and find your no nonsense writing refreshing and invaluable.

Thank you much.
Adam



My Answer: Well thanks for the high praise, Adam. I'm working on a 5th and possibly final book. This book that I'm working on is going to have over 200 exercise photos.

A lot of these exercises are going to be rather esoteric but highly effective at creating muscular tension. So a simple "bench press, pulldown, military press, squat, barbell curl" list this is not.

The best part is that most of these exercises can be performed in a home gym with barbells, dumbbells and body weight. Originally I thought of shooting an exercise DVD detailing all of these exercises in addition to some machine exercises.

But unfortunately I've been quite busy with work and family, and the cost to shoot a video is prohibitive at this point. I still have a long way to go with the book as well, but it should be coming out next year.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5