Cut the Carbs, Lose the Fat


I'm 6'0, 143 lbs, 21 years old. I had a question about the ectomorph program.

So far, following your program I've gained three pounds, which is good -- but I seem to be gaining fat more than I seem to be gaining muscle. Is it possible that I could be somewhere between endomorph and ectomorph?

My carb:protein:fat ratio has been 50:30:20, at 3100 calories a day (I wasn't gaining weight at 2700). Should I lower my carbs? If so how much?

Again, thank you so much for your work and help.

-Richie



My Answer: Yes, you should lower the carbs. In Volume One I go over diet, and I recommend an isocaloric diet for muscle gain. In other words, your macronutrients should be equally balanced: 33/33/33 or a Zone diet of 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.


James,

Long time it seems since I have written you. Just an update I feel both MCL’s are healed and I have been training for now 4 weeks. Doing the Density/Decompression training that I have gotten from your books. I gained some bodyfat that I am now struggling with around the belly button that I want to get rid of.

I know you talk to TONS of people. I want to still gain muscle but lose the body fat. Just eating enough protein and taking protein shakes adds up. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
D



My Answer: Refer to Volume One and look up the chapter on the 7 Strength Training Strategies for Fat Loss. Choose one one of those strategies and do that for a density phase. Just make sure you don't choose exercises that aggravate your MCL's.


GET BIG and order the Strength and Physique E-books



“This book is terrific. It distills years of experience and research into short sections laying out specific, creative programs for the major body parts, using the best science and advanced training techniques. Some of them created by the great 'masters' of bodybuilding like Larry Scott. Almost every section has a 'eureka' idea that I'm craving to try, like the back trifecta! The book is much more useful than subscriptions to all the muscle mags. I only wish I had it when I was a kid."

- Bob Vastine, world record holder in powerlifting



"Your arm blast routine from Volume One that you pointed me to is phenomenal. Maybe it's just the pump, but I'm measuring 16 inches compared to 15 inches before - after just 2 trainings!"

- Steve Murphy, Australia



"Sticking to your principles to the letter has helped me improve immensely. When I started lifting over two years ago I was 125 pounds and now I'm over 170.

"What I'm trying to say is that reading your books helped me understand what I needed to do to gain [muscle]. My dedication plus your expertise really worked out well for me."


- Mike Crothers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5