Ectomorph Muscle Building: Nutrition and Training Basics for Muscle Growth

Q: Hello any advice for me? I am 16 years old and want to build muscle. 

-Johan


My Answer: Well, I have a new article at Muscle and Strength titled Ectomorph Muscle Building: Nutrition And Training Basics For Muscle Growth.  If you're just starting out, then what you want to do is build strength on whole body exercises.  Whole body exercises (such as the clean and press, squat and deadlift) are what I call "anabolic blowtorches."  Done properly, they elicit a huge testosterone response from your body.

So if you focus on perfect your form and getting stronger on these 3 exercises, then you can build quite a bit of muscle.  You can add other exercises that target specific muscle groups, but those should be supplementary exercises.  In Strength and Physique: High Tension Exercises for Muscular Growth you'll find a variety of these supplementary exercises that target each muscle group.





Q: Hello, I was just reading an article you have on Bodybuilding.com about strength training and would like to ask your advice. I am 43 and am on a diet through a hospital, because I gained quite a bit of weight. I am down 40 pounds (from 262 to 222) and am starting to work out. I have had 3 back surgeries and have a fusion in my spine. 

I want to do some strength training, because at this point I have virtually no upper body strength. I was wondering if you could tell me a good routine to get my strength built up and help progress the weight loss, since I have a fused back. I would imagine there are some things I can not do anymore like squats. 

Thanks for your time. 
-Rob Z.


My Answer: Your best bet is to do a mix of machine exercises and calisthenics: push ups, inverted rows, hip bridges, body weight squats, etc. You don't want to do any weight bearing exercises with barbells or dumbbells, as these exercises will stress your back more.  Just choose body weight and machine exercises that don't cause you any pain.  Listen to your body and if you feel any pain, then nix that exercise from your program.

If you want to continue losing the weight, then focus on higher reps (10+) and short rest periods (30-60 seconds).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5