The "Building On" Technique for Size and Strength

Q: Hey, I just did 12 weeks of your Building On routine from a few articles ago. I achieved very good results and enjoyed the lifts. A lot different than a standard bodybuilder's routine. 

I'm looking for something new now. I want to lift 4 days. Are you familiar with with Doug's mass building routine?  I value your opinion as what you have said has worked for me. If you are not a fan of this can you suggest something else? I appreciate it. 

-Nick


My Answer: Doug's program looks like a good one to follow after the Building On routine.  The reason is that the Building On program is an abbreviated workout with very low volume.  In contrast Doug's program is a high volume program, which will build more muscle.  Alternating between high volume and low volume programs is called "backcycling," and it is an effective way to build muscle over time.  I cover this muscle building strategy in my book Strength and Physique: High Tension Exercises for Muscular Growth.



 



Q: I will be starting the 5x5 routine next week and you wrote in Weeks 1 and 2 of the 3-5 Method to alternate the workouts over 5 days. Now, this question seems funny to ask, but is there a rest day in those 5 days?  Or after you finish 5 days of alternating are the other 2 days of the week rest days? 

Thanks, 
Dean


My Answer: Rest days are whenever you want.  You can do 5 on/2 off.  Or your can do 3 on/1 off/2 on/1 off.  It's really up to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5