How to do pull-ups if you can't do pull-ups

I am 6'3" about 220 and not in the best shape or even close. I want to do pull-ups and chin-ups, but I can't! What would be a good progression routine to do pull-ups and chins at home? So far I've been putting my feet up on a phone book and using leg strength to help me. Any suggestions? Would be greatly appreciated! 

-J. O'Connor


My Answer: First thing is you need to lose fat.  The less weight you pull, the easier it is for you to do a pull-up.  If you can't do pull-ups and chin-ups, then you may want to start off with inverted rows.

http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Physique-Tension-Exercises-Muscular/dp/148027058X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352582069&sr=1-1&keywords=strength+and+physique%3A+high+tension+exercises+for+muscular+growth

Alternate inverted rows with negative pull-ups.  This is where you prop yourself into the top position of a pull-up and lower yourself slowly, resisting the pull of gravity.


http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Physique-Tension-Exercises-Muscular/dp/148027058X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352582069&sr=1-1&keywords=strength+and+physique%3A+high+tension+exercises+for+muscular+growth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5