Q and A: Layoffs, Ab Work and Lateral Raises

Q: I have one question to ask: I have been training for a few months. Do you think that I should rest for 1 or 2 week without training? BTW I workout 3 times a week.

-Kenny T.


My Answer: If you've only been strength training for a few months, then you're still a newbie. So I don't recommend prolonged layoffs within the first year of your training. Most of your gains in size and strength will occur in the first year of training, so it's best to take advantage of this window of opportunity.

If you want to take a break because you're going away on a trip or you're busy taking care of important matters, then by all means take a break. One week at most. Any longer and you will detrain and atrophy. In other words, you will lose size and strength the longer your layoff.

If you're an advanced bodybuilder and you've already got a decent amount of muscle and strength, then you can take periodic layoffs. People who've already built up a large muscular physique can maintain their physiques on less frequent training. Which is why you find a lot of bodybuilders hitting a body part directly only once a week. This is why Volume Four: Training for the Busy Bodybuilder is meant for the advanced bodybuilder.






Q: "Hi James, how are you doin'? I'm wondering what is the best the core workout for football. I play running back, and I need to develop my core. In my current core workout, I'm just doing some lying leg raises, hanging leg raises, and weighted crunches. 

Thanks. More power!"

-RT


My Answer: Hanging leg raises are great, but if you want to up the intensity further and develop abs that can withstand the constant impact of football, then I suggest Dragon Flags:



Of course, if you find it difficult to do, then just do the negative portion. The key is to tighten up your whole entire body: abs, glutes, quads and arms.



Q: I bought your book. Well, I had my sister buy it for me from amazon and ship it here in the Philippines. I'm currently on my 9th week of the mesocycle and enjoying the workouts so far.

BTW, can you suggest an alternate shoulder compound set, other than the upright row, lateral raises, swing combo?

Thanks!
Erwin


My Answer: Any combination of lateral raises should be fine as a substitute. The key is to target the lateral head of the deltoids with a high number of reps. Try this combo:

Seated lateral raises with a weight you can do 6-8 reps with.  Then switch to lighter dumbbells and perform 10-12 reps



Q: Me again, I just switched over to the 5x5 program that you linked in the FAQ's of your ectomorph program. I started doing the "Mass and Muscularity" routine, but I have a question: Are the two exercise days only to be done two days out of the week?

- Richie

My Answer: Yep the 2 exercise days are done twice a week.






Q: I have a question. My bench press seems to be suffering. I was doing 210 to 215 lbs about 7 to 8 times easily. Lately, I can barely do 5 or 6 without having to strain a little and rest before doing the last two. Should I take a break and do other exercises for a while?

-Victor A.


My Answer: People go through strength losses every so often, so don't be too alarmed by it. Your nervous system is probably sick and tired of the bench press. Take a break from the bench press and do a variation of the bench press for a couple of weeks, such as the dumbbell press or the incline press. Then come back to the regular bench press. Your weights will go up when you come back once you get reacquainted with the exercise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5