Acknowledge the Source

Q: I hope all is well. Thanks a lot for all of the tips, advice and info you give on bodybuilding. You taught me most of what I know, and because of you, I feel and look the way I do, which is pretty awesome!

I tried the exercises you showed us on Sept. 12: WOW! Very impressive. All three exercises gave me a really good pump, I really felt it in my lats and shoulders. All the personal trainers will be using these now.

Take care James and thanks again for all your help,

Jason G.
Montreal, QC



My Answer: Hey thanks Jason. Glad you like the exercises. I didn't invent these exercises, however. I make mention in the videos or in their tags who invented or popularized the exercise. Vince Gironda is credited for the racing dive pull and lateral swing. Larry Scott is credited for the one-arm lat pull.

It's funny that you mention "all the trainers will be using these" exercises now, because a lot of trainers are plagiarists and human parrots. Look at all the kettlebell trainers who simply parrot Pavel's teachings, but don't add anything of their own originality. 

I always try to give credit where credit is due. Nobody really owns an idea, but people should always acknowledge where they got their information from and not pass it off as their own creations.

One guy scanned a drawing from my book and put it in his online article without crediting my book as the source. When I began training people at a local outdoor spot and wrote about it, other trainers began using that exact spot to train. It got kind of crowded for awhile.

I've had trainers ask me to give them advice on how to train or how to write bodybuilding articles and books. I don't mind giving advice, but I really don't like it when people are asking for free shortcuts and are not willing to put in the time and effort to find things out themselves. Some people just want to take and not give. They kind pass themselves off as experts, when not too long ago they got H.I.T. (high intensity training) mixed up with H.I.I.T. (high intensity interval training).

Bottom line is that everyone learns from someone. Learn from different masters and not just one.  Take what is useful from each and incorporate what you've learned into your own personal brand.




“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.”
― Bruce Lee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5